Blog: Informational Interview 1

I connected with a fellow Michigan alumni at my organization this summer. I sent an email and received a quick response to set up a time for a coffee chat.

I reached out because I was interested to hear this associate’s career path and how U of M played a role in that. This associate was also a student in LSA, and took similar classes that I have. I learned a lot about how having a wide variety of experiences under your belt can be really useful in advancing your professional self and becoming a more competitive applicant. This associate emphasized that it is unusual to achieve your “dream job” right out of college – it is important to explore options, be open to options, and in the process you will ultimately advance as you develop professionally. I found this advice to be extremely valuable as many students my age get caught up in figuring out exactly what they want to do with their life. This U of M alumni stressed the importance of maintaining an open mind and we could end up enjoying a job we “settle” for in the meantime.

In addition to this professional advice, this associate works in International Affairs which is definitely a sector of interest to me. So, learning about what is involved in his job within that area was really beneficial and a good learning experience.

One thought on “Blog: Informational Interview 1

I love your comment regarding dream jobs – From my experience, I’ve learned that even when achieved, dream jobs are fleeting. For it to maintain that lofty status, the job must evolve with you; unfortunately, often times that requires one to move to the next challenge to find his/her next dream job!