D.C. Diaries – Freer|Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian Institution | #5

After 11 weeks and a summer full of new opportunities and amazing friends, my Curatorial and Public Programs internship at the Freer|Sackler has sadly come to an end. I have had an incredible time working alongside two departments and have learned more about museum work and life than I could ever have asked for. When I first came to the University of Michigan as a freshman last fall, all I could seem to find were puzzled faces when I told other students that I was majoring in Art History and minoring in Museum Studies. While I slowly found a few friends who understood my career plans, it was difficult to wade through all of the business and engineering majors who did not understand what I wanted to do with my degree. As a result, during the course of my freshman year, I became anxious about the applicability of my major and the feasibility of my career goals. While I couldn’t have expected my internship this summer to have made all of my major-related concerns go away, it gave me an untold amount of confidence with respect to the application of an Art History and Museum Studies degree. I will definitely be applying to work at another Smithsonian Museum for next summer and I hope that this Smithsonian Summer Internship is just the first of many!

2 thoughts on “D.C. Diaries – Freer|Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian Institution | #5

That is fantastic to hear! I’m glad you’re now more confident in your choice of major and that you were able to apply it in such a meaningful way.

Thank you!