Exploring | Informational Interview #1

Within my company, I wanted to pick the brain of the head of the digital department. As this was a department I was experiencing for the first time this summer and had little knowledge about prior to my internship, I wanted to find out how people got into social media and if this could be a potential path for me.

I actually have done informational interviews before so everything came pretty naturally. I already knew about my company because i was interning there, but I went back over its history and all the services it has to offer its clients. I wrote some guiding questions in my notebook. When it came to the actual conversation, I found these questions very useful because it gave me guidance but also not too much that it interrupted the flow of where the conversation was going.

In turn I learned that pretty much hard work pays off. The head got his job through pursuing a connection. I can see that acting upon your connections is very useful in the job world and not something to be ashamed of. Also I learned the importance of enjoying the work that you do. If you are doing it 5 days a week, you want to be doing something that you are slightly interested in. My conversation with him definitely left me with some thinking to do as I approach my senior year and prepare to begin the job hunt.

One thought on “Exploring | Informational Interview #1

If you are interested in pursuing social media marketing, there are so many opportunities to hone your skills as a student by working for the university or through your clubs!