Technology at Holt Eye Care

One of the most interesting aspects of my internship was that I got learn about all the equipment that is used in the office. There are a few pieces of Technology here at Holt Eye care that are very valuable when it comes to helping our patients. Some of them are indispensable, while others simply make certain tasks easier. With most items in the office I was able to learn how they worked by demonstration as the doctors and techs used them on me, and I have the pictures to prove it.

Phoropter

Probably the most iconic piece of equipment in an eye doctor’s office is the phoropter, this is a machine that allows the doctor to find the best prescription for the patient, by adjusting the myriad of different strength lenses in front of the patient’s eyes to find what helps them see the best.

iCare

This is a device that is used to measure the pressures in the patient’s eyes. High pressure can be an early sign of glaucoma. There is a probe that is used to tap the patient’s eye and measure the force with which it returns. The iCare tends to read a little high so whenever the reading exceeds 21 (mmHg) the doctor will do a more accurate test called a Goldmann Applanation Tonometry Test. This involves numbing the eye and touching the patient’s eye with an even bigger instrument, a process that can be avoided altogether through the use of the iCare. 

I had my eye pressure tested with both the iCare and the Goldmann test.

iCare

Goldmann

Pachymeter

This instrument is used to measure the thickness of the cornea, the clear, outermost layer of the eye that extends over the iris(the colored part of the eye) and the pupil. One must simply touch the tip of the device to the cornea and the pachymeter will measure its thickness. The average thickness of the cornea is between 520 and 550 microns. It is important to test corneal thickness because thick corneas can artificially raise eye pressure readings and point to glaucoma that isn’t really there.

That’s all for today, got to go to a rep meeting, talk to you all later!

Pearson Miller

Rising Sophomore, Marching Trumpet, Scholar for Life