Tour of Bremerhaven

The other day one of my coworkers asked me if I would like to do a bike tour of Bremerhaven, with the main attraction being the harbor. That´s when it hit me. I really have not done any sight seeing at all in my own city. I have went and explored other cities but I never had the desire to go and take a real look around my own. I felt a little guilty about this fact but nevertheless I was ready to see what Bremerhaven had to offer.

So after work on a Wednesday we took our bikes down to the harbor, and a little bit to my surprise, it was actually quite impressive and I learned a lot of history. The harbor of Bremerhaven is the largest auto harbor in all of Europe- and you could really tell. Thousands and thousands of cars with white sheets over them lay in the vast parking lots near the sea. Not to mention the seemingly endless amount of large shipping crates that also lay there.Also near the harbor were former American soldier quarters. Many American soldiers were stationed in Bremerhaven after World War Two, and they stayed there up until the 1980s I believe. Because of this reason, Bremerhaven once had the largest cititzen to bar ration in all of Europe, as bars were quite popular for American soldiers at the time.

So after many miles around Bremerhaven, my legs were tired but my mind was full. I really appreciated the history and had a lot of fun being a tourist in my own city.

Image result for bremerhaven auto harbor

One thought on “Tour of Bremerhaven

Interesting! I have always wanted to visit Bremen.