Finally get the chance to work as a real video editor |#1

All things are difficult before they become easy, especially in film fields. As a start up film editor, I’ve learned a lot in school courses, but it’s still very different from the real society. Also, it is very hard to find a real chance to get my hands dirty. After tons of resume sent with no responses, I got a few interviews. Some of the interviews are formalism, most of the interviewer are busy and they don’t really care about you, it is nearly impossible to catch their attention during 20 minutes short interview, especially when are not a native speaker and you need to think a lot before you speak.

Finally, I got a chance from this production company located in Westland, Michigan. This company offered a group interview to several students including me, who are all from the University of Michigan. The company mostly does wedding videos and some commercial videos as well. During the group interview, I was surprised by the fun and active atmosphere the owner and the director of operation created for us. They showed us several of their videos and I was deeply impressed, this is not just a wedding video, this is a film. I can tell that they care about every detail shot like they care about the intern candidates they are about to hire. I told them what I thought and I really like them that I really want to learn from them.

Although doing wedding is not what I have planned for my intern nor my future job, but I’m very willing to learn something different and to open my mind to see how different people dealing with different problems. On the other hand, their videos are really great.

At the end of the interview, the owner of the company said something I would never forget. He told us that he can tell we all did some homework for our interview, learning something about this company. He said he once lost a precious chance because he didn’t learn advance like we did. He wanted us to catch every chance so that the opportunity will be waiting for us.

Weeks later I got the offer from the company, then I started this trip in the middle of May, I can’t wait to tell what happened during this fantastic summer.

2 thoughts on “Finally get the chance to work as a real video editor |#1

Hey Jessie!
    I want to say that I love your attitude. It is tough to make a name for yourself, and like my dad always says, “Everyone wants to be the best, but no one wants to work for it.” It sounds like you want it and that you are working for it. Thank you for that gives me motivation too even if our career fields are not related. I’m also glad that you are really considering what he told you. It tells me that you won’t let a good opportunity slip you by. I think it’s a great thing that you are giving your current opportunity a chance although it wasn’t something on your to do list. Who knows? Maybe your interactions with the couples and companies will influence your work in a new and interesting way! I’m excited for you. Have fun 🙂

Thank you so much for you sincere response and support. I really appreciate that.
      May you have a wonderful life trip as well!