DC Internship Perks – Blog #4

I’m grateful for the numerous experiences that my internship has provided me outside of the office. Two Mondays ago, they took all the interns to visit the Library of Congress. We learned how to compile extensive research there and we got our library cards. Although we were supposed to head back to the office after lunch, we were all trapped inside the Jefferson building for multiple hours because Capitol Hill was under lockdown due to a perceived suspicious vehicle. Authorities blew up the back of the vehicle, but apparently this happens pretty often on Capitol Hill because it’s better to be safe than sorry. Although we were supposed to be scared, we were all starving because we left our bags and lunches in the other building. We weren’t able to eat until 3:30 that day. I wish we were able to see more of the public exhibits if we weren’t so restricted by the lockdown.

The Tuesday afterwards, my supervisor took all the interns to visit the US District Court and then the DC Superior Court. We were able to sit in and hear interesting cases. The case we heard at the District Court involved the killing of two ICE authorities by Mexican cartel members, which was extremely interesting to hear. Originally, we were only supposed to hear a case about marjiuana possession but luckily but were able to sit-in to this case. It was sad to see the family in the courtroom, especially when they left after a hard testimony. We were able to have lunch with the Honorable Judge Lamberth. Although it was a great experience, I think it benefitted the other pre-law interns more than me because I have no desire to pursue law school.

One thought on “DC Internship Perks – Blog #4

Hi, YaYa Sun! It’s cool how you got to visit the Library of Congress and had lunch with a Judge! Even though you won’t be pursuing law school, it’s still a really unique and exciting experience!!