End of My Internship | #5

It’s approaching the end of my six-week internship at DOHMH! It certainly feels like the end because this week all the interns gathered in a meeting room and held presentations to describe their projects and experience at DOHMH. I didn’t get to present with my other intern friend because I feared it would be redundant to go up and say the same thing as her (we worked together the whole time). But it was very fun to hear what my other colleagues had been working on this summer. My favorite project that I heard was one where the interns would travel all over New York and give presentations on tick prevention. If I could return next year, I would like the opportunity to go out in the field more often and teach the community as well.

For those who are interested in my current internship, I do have some advice I would like to bestow upon them. Because we will be working with MRC, a group of actual healthcare professionals, it is a great opportunity to network with the MRC members during events. Use that time to get to know them, their jobs, their lives, etc. I worked with a doctor during a FDNY event and it was very fun to hang out with her as peers and outside of a doctor-patient setting. That was the first time I was able to speak to a doctor as friends and it honestly made me realize that doctors were humans too. As someone who respects authority figures to the point where I fear interacting with them, it was helpful for me to understand that we are all just humans with the common goal to make the world a better place. Interns should definitely take this opportunity to learn to talk to people who they once might have found intimidating.

During my time as an intern, there was no city-wide emergency that happened, so my department was not as busy as we would’ve been if we were “activated” for an emergency. It is definitely the reason the interns and I were not as busy all the time. I would just advise future interns to be wary of when we are “activated,” because then the pace will certainly pick up and everything will happen at once.

Despite the downtimes I had during my internship, I really enjoyed my work. I met many Michigan alumni who were associated with DOHMH, I got to participate in trainings I never knew existed, and I got to see what went on behind the scenes to coordinate orientations and events. I was able to establish a friendly relationship with my supervisors and am sure that I can depend on them for future advice and guidance. Though I am sad to leave my new friends, I am excited to be able to spend the rest of my summer with old friends before returning to Michigan.

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene – 10/10 would recommend!