Toronto | #1

Hi! My name is Olivia and I’m interning this summer in Toronto, Ontario. While being only four and a half hours from Ann Arbor wasn’t originally what I had in mind when I imagined my international internship, I am very excited to be here and Toronto has managed to be a surprising and colorful city so far.

This summer, I am working for the University of Michigan Alumni Club of Toronto. The club recently resurfaced a few years ago in the Greater Toronto Area and caters to hundreds of alumni living in the city and neighboring suburbs. My responsibilities include building our new website and establishing a governance structure that the club can use to register as formal non-profit in the province of Ontario.

I see this internship as an excellent opportunity to network with alumni and to learn a lot about the needs of non-profit organizations. Like I said, one of my primary responsibilities is managing the website, which is something that I’ve never done before so I’m hoping to gain some new skills in web design.

Overall, my prospects for the rest of my time here in Toronto are very bright! Morale is high and I’m enjoying the balance of work and getting to explore the city. Everyone that I’ve met so far has been very welcoming and supportive. I’m certainly looking forward to the weeks to come and hope to continue learning as much as possible!