#3 Learning About Leadership

One of the biggest takeaways from my internship so far has been the importance of leadership. I have a couple leaders who help guide me, and their leading styles are very different. One is very organized, prepared, and one step ahead of everything, so if I ever have a question, she can answer it without hesitation and give me useful advice. The other leader uses a laid-back approach to guide us and the campers, which I appreciate on a day-to-day basis, as it makes everyone more relaxed.

Seeing how they operate differently has helped me see what kind of leader I want to be. That is part of why I find internships so valuable. It not only helps you see what you are interested in or good at, but it also helps you see what you dislike or could do better. This internship has definitely taught me both, perhaps even showing me more of what I dislike or could do to become better. But I think that that is a good thing, because I come away from this experience with just as strong a sense of direction as if I loved everything about it, and I also gained a lot of new goals to go with that. So, I’m thankful for the different styles of leadership I’ve been witness to, as it’s shown me more about myself and my strengths and weaknesses.