Mentors | Blog Post #2

The farm I am interning at hosts a farm dinner every Thursday for locals. It’s a relaxed event with a band who plays bluegrass covers of popular songs and a chef who creates dishes using food produced from the farm. Before I transferred to the University of Michigan, I was attending culinary school and cooking full time in professional kitchens. I loved working in kitchens, but unfortunately it is hard going for a small woman in the culinary field and the hours required are punishing. Knowing I had a passion for food, I started my journey at UofM studying food systems and food sovereignty. It has been extremely interesting to learn about food in a different capacity, but my love for cooking and kitchen work has never quite left me. The chef who cooks for the farm every Thursday is an older, small, woman who, despite her stature, has been opening restaurants and leading teams of cooks for many years. I was interested in her background and her experiences throughout the years, so we began talking and she helped me in not only providing ideas of culinary related jobs, but also has offered to teach me more personally. I am excited to see where this relationship goes, as it has already eased my mind on what I may pursue after college.

One thought on “Mentors | Blog Post #2

Sounds like an amazing start to a mentoring relationship!