Blog #2

My expectations for my internship was tougher but on a more emotional level. I felt like I was not good enough to teach the children as they just looked at me with blank faces. The language barrier was tough the first week of teaching the children. I received a lot of silent treatment which made me feel my lesson plans were not working or I was not doing a better job at explaining. It really took a toll on me, but the interns around me made me feel better as they described they had similar situations as well. Back home, I wake up, eat cereal, babysit for the half the day, exercise, and do work that I need to get done. However, in this internship, I served breakfast by chefs, driven around by a Chauffeur, intensely making lesson plans, finding creative ways to make arts and crafts, making up dance moves, and teaching at two different levels of English at two different schools. The work is much more intense here, but the treatment is way more luxurious than I would receive in my own lifetime. The interns and I have only been exposed to the community within the two schools we are teaching in (Galaxy and Seedling). The communication within that community is mainly saying hello and goodbye. We would love to meet more locals during our time here.

3 thoughts on “Blog #2

This is a super interesting internship, the fact that it’s both luxurious, but also laborious, interesting combination. That is so awesome you were able to bond with your fellow interns. Hope all goes well!

So glad to hear the other interns are providing additional support!

It can be really difficult to teach English, especially if you don’t know why some lessons aren’t going well. When I taught English, sometimes I would get the silent treatment if students were afraid to make a mistake, and it was helpful for me to scaffold my lessons. Going from asking students to point to an object or imitate an action for each word, to repeating after you, to choose between two options, to using words in short sentences or phrases, is really helpful. I realized I was jumping ahead of where the students felt comfortable, and class was much easier to handle after that.