False Expectations | Blog Post #1

I started my internship as a College instructor at Wayne State University Math Corps a few weeks ago. While this is only my second year in this position, I have been in the camp for eight years. Two of those years I was a student participating, and the rest of the time, I was a high-school teaching assistant. Because I have history within the camp, especially my experience last year, I expected this summer to be like riding a bike. However, I was mistaken. I believed that working with the students I received on my team this year would be no different than the group I had last year. I also believed that my team would bond with each other in the same short amount of time as they did the year before. I did not realize that the differences in each student were what make each year more exciting. The first week, I treated the students the same, not taking into account that some personalities would take longer to develop and was disappointed when I did not see immediate results. I pushed hard for the same experience, when I should’ve began with a clean slate of expectations. I should have taken the time to learn each student on my team individually. I wish that at the beginning of my experience, I would’ve looked at the past year only as a memory, and not as a blueprint.

Jasmiyne Hudson

Class of 2018, Senior at the University of Michigan studying Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience.

One thought on “False Expectations | Blog Post #1

Excellent post ! The last sentence really resonated with me.