An Amazing Turn Of Events | #4

It has been almost two weeks since my last post, and the circumstances have changed.

Our team initially planned to create a second project involving renewable energy, where the optimal type of renewable energy is calculated and displayed on the globe for any particular area in the world. We wanted to carry over the code structure, but update the user interface and the data visualization aspect from our agriculture atmosphere application to fit the nature of the renewable energy application. We hoped to tweak our existing assets to ensure that each of our products would have its own distinct identity and branding.

Unfortunately, as I have predicted, the process of optimizing the user experience of our agriculture application and debugging the app’s features took two more weeks than expected.

Some of the challenges we faced were improving the code structure and adding comments within the code for increased readability, displaying data and text in a more organized manner, adding a tutorial section for users to easily learn about the app’s features, optimizing the app for mobile use, and much more.

The biggest challenge for me was fixing the bugs that can seem simple to the ordinary user, but became surprisingly time-consuming to decipher. For instance, I have spent six hours making the borders of a button disappear when it is clicked for the second time. It may seem easy at first sight, but with the complexity of our application, it became exponentially more difficult to fix.

Even though we have implemented all of the data we needed in an intuitive and user-friendly user interface, “telling a story” was the last missing piece of the puzzle, as my mentor said. We needed to display combinations of agriculture and atmosphere data in order to showcase different ways that Earth’s climate has changed and has affected the most important part of human survival: food. Through two months of confusion, hopelessness, but ultimately perseverance, we believe that we have achieved filled that last piece of the puzzle.

As my internship reaches its final stages, I have learned the entire process of developing a fully-operational a web application. Now I can apply this newly-acquired knowledge to future internships and my prospective career opportunities. You can check out the application at: worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/agrosphere

2 thoughts on “An Amazing Turn Of Events | #4

  • August 10, 2017 at 5:31 pm
    Permalink

    What an accomplishment! This will be great to showcase to future employers. I’m glad all your hard paid off!

    Reply
    • August 11, 2017 at 4:52 pm
      Permalink

      Thank you so much!

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *