Blog #3 My Mentor

During this fellowship, I have found a few mentors that have helped me along the way. My immediate mentor, the one I work with on a daily basis, has been extremely helpful when it comes to troubleshooting experiments and finding new projects for me to complete. My mentor is also helping me to complete my end of the year presentation. This presentation has been especially difficult to put together because I am working another job on the weekend, I am applying to medical schools, and I have to move out of my apartment two days after the presentation. With that being said, having a mentor to give me guidance about what to say during my presentation is extremely helpful. I am planning on rehearsing my presentation with my mentor later this week and then early next week, I will be presenting my work to my lab co-workers. These two pre-rehearsals are pretty terrifying but I know that completing them will help make my final presentation run smoothly. In addition to helping me with my presentation, my mentor has been extremely flexible with my hours (I can go into my lab late in the morning and stay later in the day and vice versa). Because of his flexibility, I have been able to volunteer in the hospital and to complete applications and errands (like running to the bank) during the day. So far, this fellowship has been a great experience and it is mainly because I have had an amazing mentor.