New Business | Informational Interview #2

All of my internships have been in PR. My job is making sure the media covers what our clients are doing. I always wondered what being a part of the media would be like. Beyond this, most of my family is in the TV/movie business so media/entertainment has always been a career path that has been in the back of my mind. Another non-related thing about myself is that I love children. My whole family thinks that being a teacher is what I am meant to do with my life and at some point, I am going to realize and go back to school for it. Although that is not something I do see happening, I certainly do love being with kids. I have been a camp counselor, a babysitter, a tutor, and am honestly a kid at heart. To combine my curiosity in media/entertainment and my love for kids into a job would be SO interesting. This led me to connect with someone at WGBH children’s programming.

My Aunt actually works in children’s programming in CA, and her friend is the head of WGBH childrens programming here in Boston (which includes the production of shows like Arthur and Curious George!), so I reached out and set up a meeting with her. I came in with prepared questions, but for the most part the conversation progressed organically. She explained me her path to working at WGBH and it was extremely interesting. One piece of advice that she gave me really stuck out. She was at a job somewhere else and there was no real room for upward movement. She didn’t want to leave the company, however she knew she had the experience and knowledge to move up. She searched for jobs elsewhere, with the help of her boss, and foung the position at WGBH. She couldn’t believe how helpful her boss was in getting her the new job and it goes to show that gumption goes a long way. I look to apply this in the future by not being afraid to ask for things at my job, but also asking them at the appropriate time. I also got to see the whole WGBH building (pictured above) which was definetly a highlight of my informational interview.

One thought on “New Business | Informational Interview #2

It is great to see that you have taken away a lot from this internship! I am happy to see that you are considering a path in Media. That sounds so interesting! Yeah, I think your boss can definitely be a big asset when helping you look for other jobs. I am sure that you will find out what you want to do. Good luck and keep up the good work!