The End

My time in Berlin is coming to an end, and honestly I do not know how to feel. Everything went by faster than I could have imagined. It really hasn’t hit me that I am leaving soon, and I doubt it will until I am on my flight back home.

Reflecting back on my time is hard. I cannot differentiate yesterday from three weeks ago, and I probably can’t even tell you what I did yesterday. My life is pretty routine, all I do is work. I do not see is at a bad thing, though. I have really enjoyed my internship and the people I work with, which is what has made this experience as great as it has been.

What I will miss the most is the falafel at the döner shops on every corner of the city. It has become my favorite treat, however my love for it slightly diminished after I was nearly burned by an angry man who dropped his coffee on me at the shop near my work.

Since being in Berlin I have realized just how not European I dress. People will stop me on the street and ask me where I am from, and upon telling them they will make some joke about Donald Trump. To be honest, I have been slightly ashamed to admit that I am from the states. I feel personally responsible for anything that the US has done in terms of policies that effect the rest of the world. Of course that isn’t true, but I still feel guilt.

I am excited to return home next week, and at that point I will make a reflection.

Until then,

Claire

One thought on “The End

Claire, I feel similarly about being an American. At times I have great pride for our country and how we can be leaders in the world, and other times feeling shame for the potentially negative influence we can have as well. Have a safe trip home, and looking forward to seeing your last post!