My Project-Based Internship | #2

Over the course of my internship, my main project is to brainstorm ideas for a 2017 Holiday campaign for Reef. This includes product e-mails, social media assets, and more aspects of ECommerce Marketing that will support the brand throughout the holiday season. I amexcited to embark on this opportunity. One of the reasons why I wanted to work at Reef so badly was because I wanted to do a project-based internship, instead of a job that’s simply filling in for a former intern. I always strive to avoid busy work when doing an internship, because I want to learn from the environment and see if this is a career I am interested in for the future.

My boss has been kind enough to put me in touch with everyone in the marketing department so I can set up one-on-one meetings with them. Throughout this experience, I’ve been able to sit down with VP’s, directors, coordinators, and art directors. We’ll spend an hour or so talking about life, how they got to their current position, and what they do for the company from day to day. These conversations have been invaluable. Some have been more formal, explainingthe finer details of SEO, coding, and digital assets. Others are casual, discussing life paths and decisions that brought them to this point. I think all internships should integrate a program like this, because it helps the interns familiarize themselves with the office and the direction of the company. I feel less like a scared intern and more like an asset to the company. It’s been very refreshing to be treated like a valuable employee, which I know some interns do not experience.

I continue to be grateful for the opportunities I’m afforded at Reef and will miss this place at the end of summer! At the end of my internship, I will be presenting my final project to the president and other VP’s at the company. I am excited to have the opportunity to share my ideas with higher-ups in the company and have them care about what I have to say. Interacting with my co-workers has given me the confidence to align myself with the brand and brainstorm ideas to implement in the coming months.

garriaga

I'm an incoming Senior from San Diego, CA. This summer, I am working as an ECommerce Marketing Intern at REEF! I'm super excited to learn more about the action sports industry, surf culture, and ECommerce Marketing!

One thought on “My Project-Based Internship | #2

It’s such a great feeling to be able to talk with your bosses and co-workers in a more relaxed way! It’s so beneficial to the workplace, especially at the beginning of the internship, and hopefully it’s more common in internships than we think! Good luck with your project, I’m sure with the supportive environment and your own energy you’ll be able to come up with something great.