SURP Internship Blog #1

Hello everyone,

My name is Joseph Dakki, and I received the LSA internship scholarship in late June. I was having some trouble accessing the Opportunity Hub website and Canvas, but I finally have access. I have been blogging my experiences in a separate Google document, and I will now share some of my experiences with you all.

May 31, 2017

Today was orientation. I was extremely excited to finally begin my internship. During orientation, I had the opportunity to meet so many interesting people from all around the country. I learned quite a bit about their research interests and future career goals. They also advised me on the many types of post graduate science programs.

The orientation featured many motivating speakers, and I learned a lot about the University of Michigan Medical School. Other portions of the orientation were aimed at laboratory safety. Most of the safety material was review because I worked in the laboratory my freshman and sophomore years. There was also a persuasive talk by a professor to convince us to pursue a PhD program.

Besides being excited, I was also a little nervous. Most of my previous research was in virology, so I knew the transition to immunology and bacteriology was going to be very challenging. My mentor and the PI, however, provided me with some textbooks on immunology and bacteriology, so I will be reading those very soon. I was also given some of the lab’s previous publications, and I will need to read those as well. I know there will be many more struggles during my internship, but I am excited to work in this lab.

Joseph Dakki