Blog Post 5: Detroit on the Rise

The end of this internship was bittersweet. Words can’t express how grateful I am for the opportunity I had working for the Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority and being placed in DLIVE at Sinai Grace Hospital. I feel that I’ve definitely grown as a person and have narrowed down what I want to do going forward with school and my life in general. My plans are now to apply for the School of Social Work for graduate school so that I can get my MSW. I also plan to stay acting and to somehow incorporate that part of me with the now interest in social work side of me. I was able to network, meeting many people doing great things for the city of Detroit. DLIVE has worked and will continue to work diligently with young people who’ve been traumatized, changing their lives and preventing the trauma from happening again by giving them resources and opportunities that they didn’t have before. Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority does the same with a focus more on the mental aspects of people. They not only hold therapy sessions but they plan conferences where people can come and hear people speak on various topics. I had the privilege of being one of the speakers for their last conference called the Youth Professionals Conference. In this conference over 500 youths from different programs across Detroit came to get empowered and learn about different topics. Within the conference were sessions where people presented these topics. My session was about bullying, I presented in two sessions with 55 young people in each session. Speaking is something I want to do down the line in my professional career so any opportunity I get to speak, big or small, I put everything into so that whoever is listening can leave with something. The following week after the conference was my last week, so I touched basis with DWMHA and DLIVE. Both organizations are expecting me to come back and I am more than looking forward to coming back. This is why I’m excited to go into my senior and complete all my schooling so that when I come back, I’ll have the degrees behind my name and I’ll be able to do even more than I did before. Detroit is on the rise and I’m going to be a part of that rise.

edwilli

I am a senior studying Acting Performing in the School of Music, Theatre, and Dance and I also major in Psychology in the School of Literature, Science, and Arts.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post 5: Detroit on the Rise

I think it’s fantastic that you were able to find a new interest or different part of you from your internship. I also think that the organization you were working for is great and its wonderful that they were able to give you an opportunity to do what you love (i.e speaking and inspiring others). Keep fighting for Detroit!

Have to say I admire anyone who recognizes the opportunities that exist in Detroit for progress and congratulations on a successful internship.

I envy your new found passion and think you have made a great career choice! With your determination and dedication, I am sure you’re go very far in whatever you put your mind to. Best of luck to you in the future!