Informational Interview One | #7

The first person I connected with was someone outside of my office; she is a technical designer at Calvin Klein Underwear. Although I am interning at public relations firm, I am also interested in fashion and product design so it was amazing to meet someone who is actually on the design team at one of my favorite brands. I had no idea what technical design was so she told me about what she does and showed me some of her work. Technical design, vs creative design, is more about making a piece of clothing work mechanically and making a design possible and practical. I asked about how she got into technical design and she told me that she used to be a fit model and found out about technical design through that. A fit model is someone who they test clothes on to make sure they are sized correctly and can be worn. We talked about photography, design, fashion, and how you don’t have to take the most conventional path and still end up where you want to be. After we talked, she also let me sit in on a meeting with her team, where I got to meet people from all parts of the Calvin Klein Underwear design department. After meeting with her, I felt more confident about my options and the path I’m taking to achieve my goals.

One thought on “Informational Interview One | #7

Wow – I love that you used this opportunity to explore an entirely different field. I hope that the experience provided you with additional clarity on your path.