Blog Post #4

It’s been almost 3 weeks since my last post, and I can’t believe how quickly the time has passed. I’m starting to understand how careers can fly by so quickly — those stories of people staying at the same company for 40 years or so suddenly become that much more interesting. I’ve really gotten into the swing of things, and have truly appreciated factors that I never even considered one year ago.

Workplace culture is so important, and more than what people wear to work. It is how you’re treated by the coworkers who don’t even know you, or the vulnerability of people above you. It is what has allowed me to learn so much in such a short time here, and I’m quickly seeing that 10-weeks is only enough to get a glimpse of what is going on in a company. Learning in a work environment is much more subtle than the hard-drilled world of academia, and I think it suits me much more.

Consulting seems to be all about learning at rapid pace: about the client, the industry, the product, the competitors, your project team, the client’s leadership team, and a bunch of things I haven’t even had the chance to consider in my 8 week stay thus far. It obviously isn’t quite as academic as my EECS and LSA classes, but I feel that my lessons at work are much more applicable to my career ahead. The tools I gained at Michigan are to equip to be able to handle these transitions. I think transitioning out of my internship, and back onto a college campus will be equally interesting.