My One on One with Mr. Engel (Featuring an Emmy Award) | #2

I asked Steven Engel if I can have a one on one with him in his office. A word of advise: It is very important to have one on one’s. It not only puts a name to the face in the office but it is also great to learn from others successes and failures. I heard from other interns that Mr. Engel was actually working as an investment banker before he founded the company. This intrigued me so much so I needed to know more.

I expected our talk to be terse but it we lasted an hour. He told me his upbringing, his college and investment banking days and how he got to where he is now. We actually joked about how the company is older than me (Company was founded in April of 1996, I was born two months after). I wish I can tell you guys every insightful story he told me but the most important story was when he realized that investment banking sucked and he wanted to make films and shows. He had a vision and went after it. As a college student going through an early life crisis, it is easy to be complacent and accept years of “maybe next year” but Mr. Engel made me see the importance of finding your passion and doing anything and everything to make it happen. For me, I want to do a lot of things. I want to start a clothing brand, make music, make videos and more. I am now starting to brainstorm on all these things because of Mr. Engel.

Mr. Engel also spoke about the Emmy Award that was in the room. The award was for the film A Walk to Beautiful, a phenomenal about women who suffer from childbirth injuries in Ethiopia. The award was bigger than I thought it would be. I wanted to take a photo with it but I was to nervous to ask (maybe next time).

I would highly recommend that you guys try to have a one on one with someone in the office. You never know what you might learn about them or yourself.