#3 | A Day in the Life

Not once, not twice, but three times I slam my hand down on the snooze button and reluctantly drag myself out of bed. I maneuver down my lofted bed, quietly put on workout clothes to avoid disturbing my roommate, and exit Atchison Hall on Wayne State’s campus by 6:20am. I jog for 15 minutes outside, attempting to enjoy the warm morning while my body slowly escapes its catatonic state. I enter the recreation center, spend 90 minutes in some combination of cardio, weightlifting, and yoga, then return back to my dorm room. After a quick shower I shuffle into my work clothes and haul downstairs to make the 8:15 shuttle downtown.

My dorm, Atchison Hall, on Wayne State’s campus

10 minutes later I arrive at Campus Martius square in downtown detroit, swipe into my building, and beeline for the cafeteria. I snag the last egg and sausage burrito and enter the elevator to the 8th floor. I read the day’s Morning Brew blog post while downing my breakfast, then glance to my day’s schedule. I spend 60 minutes cleaning and processing data for my machine learning final project, 15 minutes asking clarifying questions to my team leader, then another 60 researching gradient boosting algorithm decision trees. More final project work takes me to lunchtime, where I meet a group of friends at Bellacinos, a local Italian shop specializing in 4$ footlongs (how’s that taste, Subway?).

The view from the elevator on my floor
My building, 1 Campus Martius
My desk (scope those 3 monitors!)

After a much needed break, I return to my office an hour later to meet with my ‘War of the Four’ group, an intern competition in which we are tasked with innovating a new communications system for the company. Post meeting I make progress on our presentation, creating graphic materials for our product and adding to powerpoint slides. At 4pm, I head down the street to 1 Woodward, to shadow an Application Engineer working for One Reverse Mortgage, an affiliated company within the Quicken Loans Family of Companies. After this session, I head back to my office, gather my belongings, and catch the next shuttle to Atchison Hall.

After catching dinner at the Dining hall, I play some pingpong at the student center, and reflect on what a wonderful internship I have. I hit the sack around 10:30 and get ready to do it all over again!

The friendships I’ve made this summer will last a lifetime