Blog 5: Overcoming Obstacles

Through my experience at Pregenzer Baysinger Wideman & Sale, I was faced with a lot of obstacles and challenges, but none more monumental than when I tagged along on a trip with Partner Marcy Baysinger.  I met her at the offices early in the morning on a Tuesday, and my role for the first part of the day was to accompany her and shadow her while we headed to a home in the South Valley of Albuquerque to provide a home owner with an eviction notice- alongside a state police officer.  I was very nervous to accompany her and the police officer on this trip.  I had a conference call the day before with both Mrs. Baysinger and the police officer, who went through the details of what was going to happen.  He explained to us that the person receiving the eviction notice was hostile with him days before and said that the police officer would not be able to make him leave the house.  When we arrived, the gateway to the house was thoroughly chained and locked.  We spent the first thirty minutes or so making sure that the premises was safe and breaking the locks on the gate.  When we were finally in on the house grounds, three large dogs angrily came after us, so we had to call animal control.  When they showed up and got the dogs, we then entered the house, which was very nerve racking because I did not know what was going to happen.  The gentlemen receiving the eviction notice was not present, and would not answer Mrs. Baysinger’s calls afterward.  He later claimed his dogs from animal control, but he still has not been legally cooperative.  This was an obstacle for me simply because it was so eerie for me, and I did not realize that on site jobs for lawyers were as common as they are.