Informational Interview #2

I chose to interview Leah Hagamen, an inpatient physical therapist at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, because I’ve noticed that I really enjoy seeing children in the Von Voigtlander Women’s Clinic.  Since my desk is located right near the waiting room of the clinic, I frequently interact with young children and women who are happy to talk about babies that they are expecting.

At one point, I was very interested in physical therapy.  For some reason, I redirected my academic path during college and physical therapy fell off of my radar.  I shadowed Leah during high school and really could see myself working in a similar position.

So, I reconnected with Leah and spoke with her about her career in the healthcare field.  She spoke to me about the main rewards of her career.  She shared how rewarding it felt to help children regain their mobility and improve their qualities of life through physical exercises.  While entering and exiting her office, I noticed the number of patients in critical condition who were receiving physical therapy treatment.  I completely understand how rewarding it would feel to help these patients, but I think it would be extremely difficult for me to see children in such critical conditions every single day.  On paper, I believe that a similar position would be great for me.  But, overall I think I should choose a different career path.

Leah Hagamen, Physical Therapist, University of Michigan Health System – C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital