The Pursuit of Happiness | #5

My internship with the Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives was nothing short of an amazing experience. The Big House Program Part 1 was a success! The students were excited as they were given the opportunity to meet with faculty, administrators and students of the University of Michigan. They had time to network with graduate students as well as create stronger bonds amongst each other. One of the main focuses of part 1 of the Big House Program is to get the students started on the application process. They started their Common Application and had the ability to begin brainstorming and writing their essays. We created workshops and group activities in order to aid them with this process. They were also worried and distressed which was natural with the difficulties their unique challenges had brought. But with the unique group of interns and volunteers at the program, we were able to ease their stresses. It was helpful for the students to hear that there were students at the University of Michigan with stories similar to their own, it gave them hope. The Big House Program provided the students whether first generation or low socioeconomic status with resources to be successful young adults who can prosper at the University of Michigan. This experience will not only help these students but it will help each and every individual they meet, it will help their families, and it will also help their children and the children of their children. Research has long identified the fact that children of university educated parents are more likely to be successful. With this program, I believe we are able to make a difference. Everyone, no matter what situation they are in, if they are unhappy, I want them to know that they have the ability to create their own path and a better life for themselves and the people that they love. Everyone has the right to the pursuit of happiness and it is my hope that I can continue to inspire everyone I meet to follow their dreams in attaining that happiness.

One thought on “The Pursuit of Happiness | #5

Hi Fatima! I’m so happy that the Big House Program (Part 1) was a success! The work you’re doing to help these kids is quite remarkable!!