Informational Interview #1

The first person I chose to interview is a real-estate developer who is head of a company. The reason I chose this person is because I wanted to learn from them about what it takes or what qualities are needed in order to run an effective company. The first quality this person indicated was important is one I am already aware that the head of a company needs to possess, leadership. He explained that the leader of a company needs to create an environment where people want to follow them. You cannot force people to follow you and respect needs to be earned, it is not a right. That last sentence really stuck with me because it draws a strong comparison to my sport hockey and the captains of the team. The respect they get is what they have earned and it shows when they are voted captains by the team. The next quality this person posed was vision. The leader of a company needs to be able to create a product or service that people want or need and they need to be able to differentiate themselves from the competition. If a company can not find a way to diversify themselves then they will not advance.