5| A Rewarding Summer

If you read my last post, it is obvious that I learned a lot in the way of technical knowledge, adding very useful programming languages, frameworks, and other tools to my skillset, such as HTML/CSS, JavaScript, NativeScript, and Firebase.  However, it was also a summer of growth in other ways.  This summer, I confirmed my passion for work that has high positive social impact.  I was able to do this directly in my workplace, CollegeCommunityCareer.  I was not only able to expose students to exciting pursuits in technology and programming, but also was able to develop a product, a mobile app that I am currently working to have published on Google Play and Apple App Store, that will hopefully be of great use to the nonprofit.  I am excited to explore further the positive social impact technology can bring to individual communities and the world at-large.  Regardless of what industry I go into, I will make sure to leverage my skills to bring positive change to the communities and causes I am invested in.  I learned that there are complex issues in public education in Texas, and effective answers are going to need a lot of thought.  The Houston-area has particularly interesting challenges, as a rapidly growing city with an increasingly diverse population.  I will continue to watch Houston closely, and hope to stay engaged in efforts to improve college access in the area.

P.S.

For those of you interested in my picture above, I had the opportunity to visit Texas A&M as my last field trip with CollegeCommunityCareer.  I snuck some Michigan gear in just to one-up the SEC.

Sujay S

I am a student studying Informatics (with a Life Science Concentration) in the College of Literature, Science, and Arts at the University of Michigan. I am currently working as a Mobile Application Development Intern at CollegeCommunity Career, a nonprofit in the Houston, Texas area that aims to increase college access and success to underserved populations in the area. I am grateful to have been given the opportunity to be a part of this rewarding experience, due to support from AmeriCorps VISTA program and the Brock-Wilson Family Fund for Student Support LSA Internship Scholarship.