Blog #6 | The Take-Away

Throughout this internship, I have learned a lot about not just myself but the industry I have been interested in for quite a while now. Coming into this summer, I was insanely nervous about moving across the country to live in an apartment with 9 other girls that I didn’t know and work at a job that I didn’t know what to expect from. My anxiety was through the roof because I was hoping that I would actually get something out of this summer.

Luckily, I did.

My dad flew out here with me when I was first moving and we went to go see exactly where I’d be working. With only a small sign in the window and no way to get inside the building that clearly held more than just this firm, he was very skeptical and uncomfortable with leaving me out here without any real notion of the job or if it was legitimate.

Luckily, it was.

After this summer, I’ve gained the knowledge and skills to understand online marketing, building marketing platforms, building brands, and the strategies needed for successful brand launches. I have been reassured in my desire to continue on in a profession in the marketing industry and I hope to find an internship for next summer that will further my growth.

While this internship provided me with great experience, it fell short of a few key parts in my eyes. First, the agency I’ve interned for is comprised of 7 or 8 actual paid employees and while I have been working, 4 unpaid interns including myself. While they have some paid free-lancers coming in and out of the office for odd job help, it struck me as odd that 1/4 of the company is unpaid interns.

I know now that next summer, I want to have an internship with many other interns around my own age that I’ll actually be able to hang out with instead of the age gap there is between myself and the other 3 interns here. (They’re all a couple years older) I also would like an internship where I am immersed in a large internship program where the company (hopefully a large company because they obviously need to support those interns) has an established internship program in which they focus on the development and rise of those interns into their company.

I was told that the company I’ve been working for wanted to offer me a job here but as I am still in school, I was not about to drop out for a job on the other side of the country and shirk retrieving my degree when I’m halfway through the process. It’s been an interesting summer to say the least, but I’m excited to get back to Ann Arbor and continue my studies this year.