A Woman in a Male Office: Blog 3 – Value of Diversity

I never thought too much about what exactly it means to be a woman in a male-dominated workplace. It is interesting how much it gets brought up at the intern table how I am the only girl there, or how much the conversations are geared toward male gendered topics rather than the about our work itself. It has made me acutely aware of the fact that I am a girl and that makes my experience in the office slightly different than my male friend next to me. I’ve found that this isn’t a bad thing and, actually, something I can use to my advantage. I have found that my “feminine” perspective on different scripts is more useful to the managers and producers for romantic comedies where women are the target audience. I have also been sent on runs to go to a store to buy a dress for a client or arrange a pastry basket, which are jobs given to me more often than a fellow male intern. While this disparity is somewhat clear and seems a little antiquated, I have appreciated these extra opportunities because they have allowed me to meet and interact with specific clients that I would not have met if I was a male intern.