And That’s a Wrap, Folks!

Yesterday, I woke up at 5 a.m. to do my final touches on packing and, at 9:05 a.m., I flew from Washington D.C. back to Detroit, Michigan. I might have spent five or six hours sleeping post flight before I did anything productive, but nonetheless, it does feel really good to be back at home with family and close friends, who I have not seen in a long time. Sure I have missed my family, but I already feel like I’m missing the working life in DC. My boss and my work team made my summer an experience that really influenced me and how I am going to go start my final semester at U-M. My internship helped me understand that it is okay to not have everything figured out or not have every little detail of your life planned. The interns in my office were as young as 17 and as old as 28, with all varying experience levels and career aspirations. The diversity of the staff made me feel a lot more comfortable and reassured about my future goals.

Also, the type of work I did furthered my interest in legal work. I’m fine with doing routine tasks of filing out paper work for different clients, reaching out to different law enforcement agencies, and other office and organizational things. I recall talking to one of my friends about the type of work we see ourselves doing and we are complete opposites. He likes the idea of having his own schedule and working on his own time, and not really within an office. As for me, I like the structure and the confined work spaces where I know that my productivity for work should be done within a certain space and certain time. I do not think, for me, I would be able to be the best worker without having those “office hours” lifestyle.

For those of you stumbling across this blog and reading this far down, I have some advice for you. Apply to all the internships and do not try to sell yourself short of an experience. Having an internship and/or work experience will help you not only learn what field of work you are interested in doing but more about yourself and your productivity levels. Some people may think they know what they do, but you never learn to appreciate what you have until you realize how much you truly enjoy it. Do not let your experience level deter you from applying for jobs or internships either. Everyone starts from the ground up!