Looking Back at My Time at Yale (#5)

This week marks the end of my internship here at the Infant Cognition Center at Yale. Today I had the chance to meet with my lab manager one on one to discuss my experience in the lab this summer. This obviously lead to a lot of reflection.

Overall, my time here has been amazing. I am leaving this place with an entire new set of skills, and an entirely new mindset about my own ability. I have a better idea of what I want to do with my life now, and I also have a clearer idea of how to get there. A lot of this comes from the fact that I’ve had the chance to have so many great conversations with people who are experts in the field of psychology. The fact that most of my peers are older than me here, as mentioned in one of my previous posts, has also been very beneficial to me. It’s been great to be able to talk to people who have walked similar paths as me, and who can help answer any questions that I may have.

In a few days, I will be heading home. A couple of weeks after that, I will be back in Ann Arbor, getting back into the swing of classes and work. With the new skills that I have acquired this summer, and my new-found confidence in my ability, I am ready to dive right back in. I’ve started reaching out to different professors and researchers at UMich about working for them in their labs, and I am eager to see where that leads me.

I’ve made it clear in my post-internship evaluation that I encourage UMich to give funding to future students who want to come here to participate in this internship. I think that everyone should have at least one internship experience as positive as the one that I have had here. The skills and relationships that I have gained throughout my time here are things that will not fade, and I am more than grateful for them.