My Favorite Experience | #4

While I have enjoyed my entire internship, my favorite experience happened during my time spent with Old National’s senior vice president of community engagement, Jamie. Some of Jamie’s job responsibilities include selecting nonprofits to receive a grant from the bank’s foundation, teaching a financial literacy course to members of the community, coordinating volunteer opportunities for staff members, and promoting the bank in the community. Not only did her job seem fun and interesting, but it also allows her to directly interact with the organizations that the bank supports.

A few weeks before my internship began, the regional CEO that oversees all of Michigan was promoted to a new position, making way for the selection of a new regional CEO. Alec, the new regional CEO, has shown great interest in community outreach and engagement, so Jamie decided to show him some of the great things Old National has done in the community, and I was able to tag along. One of the main organizations that the bank sponsors is Michigan Athletics. As a result of the sponsorship, we were given private tours of Michigan Stadium, the Crisler Center, and Yost Ice Arena.  It was so interesting to see the locker rooms and private suites of the Big House, and any time spent on the field is really fun! This tour gave me the opportunity to see parts of the stadiums that I would never see otherwise. The tour guides were able to tell me so much history about our stadiums that I will think about every time I go to a game. I enjoyed speaking with their business relations coordinator, who was able to show us how the donations from Old National has been used to improve Michigan Athletics. Engaging with the community has been a great way to finish my internship this summer, giving insight into an aspect of banking that I will always appreciate.