That’s All She Wrote

Throughout my internship, I took the opportunity to learn about multiple career paths that I could potentially take after I finish my education. Although I loved my time spent at the museum, I do not believe this is what I want to do in the future. The past few months have been great because I learned how to work in a professional environment, but I am not a fan of working at a desk from 9-5 every day. I know this will eliminate a lot of my career options, but I want to go out and influence people daily. After the first few weeks of my internship, I knew that this was not the work for me because I did not love what I was doing. Now, I am not saying that the internship was bad, but that it is not the line of work that I want to go into. I believe that the education program that I was working on is important because it allows people to discuss topics through discussion, lecture, and workshops. This is essential for anyone wishing to expand their mind, but I think I would like to be a participant, not an organizer.

I wouldn’t say that this has impacted my academic path at all because I still plan on taking classes in both history and international studies. This decision would impact me if I were minoring in museum studies, but I am studying general history so I am confident in my academic choices. I have already started the process of creating a plan to find my next path by reaching out to people in Warsaw. For the most part, they hold positions that sound interesting to me or work for an organization that makes an impact. A lot of these conversations have been beneficial for me because I am able to learn about what they do daily, what are their likes and dislikes, and what kind of experience it takes to get to where they are today. Honestly, this has really helped me narrow down my career choices because I can make an informed choice on whether that position would be something I would excel in. When it comes to my academic path, I think I need to choose classes that are geared more towards today’s issues. I have realized that I find history fascinating, but I want my career to be in international relations. In terms of extracurricular activities, I need to look for organizations on campus that have an active part in world issues.

If I were to advise a student planning to do an internship in this field, I would tell them that there is a lot of organization involved in education departments, whether that be with my program or any other. You are not there so much as to talk about the topics, but to run them and make sure everything goes smoothly. Additionally, you must be prepared to work at a desk every day and have most of your work be on a computer.

Now, I believe that interning in Poland has a lot of perks. For example, living in Eastern Europe has allowed me to travel all throughout the continent because everything is close. Additionally, their currency is almost 4 PLN to 1 USD, which makes it easier to live there if you are on a budget. I think there are some really great places to visit in Poland and it is not a very touristy city when compared to London or Paris. However, I really enjoyed Warsaw because I wasn’t constantly surrounded by people. If you decide to go to Poland, you may experience a bit of culture shock because not everyone speaks English nor are they that friendly to being with. The Poles really stick to themselves and I found it hard to make friends because of this reason. If you work for a Polish organization, then most of your colleagues will speak Polish unless they are directly talking to you. This was difficult for me because I couldn’t make friends since I never knew what was happening around me.

This internship was a learning opportunity for me and I am thankful for that because it allowed me to figure out what I liked and disliked in a work environment. I needed to start somewhere in terms of looking for future careers and this helped me with that. Next year, I will be able to take my likes and dislikes and apply them to an internship that will even further my future agenda. I am happy that I spent ten weeks in Warsaw and for all the relationships that I built while I was here.