Blog Post #3: Lunch Breaks

Whether it is editing the university’s promotional video or continuously proofreading and creating reports, for the most part, I work independently in my own office space.  So I really value my lunch break, which is the time when I get to interact with the other staff members the most.

I chose to intern in Korea for both the work experience and the opportunity to learn about the Korean culture.  So when I eat with the other employees, I ask questions or learn from observing. Each and everyday I learn something new. For example, the younger staff members teach me new slang words like 맛집 ~ which is a unique way of saying tasty restaurant. When we go out to eat, they also deliberately choose restaurants that are known to have unique Korean food that way I can try many different dishes in Korea. And although in the workplace, everyone speaks and addresses each other very formally, I realized that during these lunch breaks, it was common to casually joke around or open up about personal matters. These are the little things that I wouldn’t be able to learn from a textbook that I am now able to learn here in my internship in Seoul. Thus, I realized, to me vacationing in a country is so different from working in one, and so I feel very lucky!

2 thoughts on “Blog Post #3: Lunch Breaks

Very cool! Have you had a chance to visit other nearby countries and try their authentic dishes?

@jpinho Hello, thank you for the comment! Yes, I traveled around to Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, and Vietnam and got to try their authentic dishes as well!