Reflections |#5

At the moment of writing this, I am currently on a morning cruise on the Hudson River, courtesy of my internship program Sage Corps. Although I am unable to enjoy the wine onboard, the Italian sodas and cheese are quite delightful. I highly recommend those interested in going abroad and/or working with startups to look into Sage Corps. Without it, I wouldn’t have been able to connect with start-ups that are looking for interns and those unfamiliar with a new city would be able to rely on resources to help them thrive.

What I learned is that startup companies are not what Forbes magazine or Hollywood portrays. You have to be able to accept many risks of starting your own company, the possibility of failure, and put down a heavy time commitment. After this internship, I still intend on pursuing a minor in entrepreneurship to coincide with my BBA, but I do not see myself pursuing a life as an entrepreneur. It is crucial to understand that being an entrepreneur is as glamorous as starting Facebook in a Harvard dorm and rising to become a young billionaire without a college degree – it is being a nonconformist who genuinely believes their product or idea will revolutionize society. Young people need to stop going on Linkedin and labeling themselves as an entrepreneur (although the hilarious irony is when they even misspell that word). Unlike a college paper, it is a long project that has no end unless you catastrophically fail or sell it off, and 99% of owners will say it is unbelievably hard work. I will take the observations I have made to bolster my business degree to understand what it is like to run a business big or small, and maybe one day become a venture capitalist who will provide the money to these start-ups.

You have to experience something in order to make a judgment. Don’t pursue something that makes you sound cool during cocktail chats – only true entrepreneurs would know that.