When you finish your internship, take a moment to reflect on the impact of the experience. | #5

I’ve learned so many things during this internship.  Leadership skills, the mentality of a scientist, time management, presentation skills, and even how to shape your story in an engaging way to people that are not in your field.  I am very passionate about my work, and it is important to me to be able to present it in a way that gets others passionate about it as well.  Working in a research laboratory is like being in a big family.  Everyone is there for each other to help, and you are there for them.  Every single day is a blast because of the people I work with and the way we explore new knowledge together.  This internship is such an immersive experience that cannot be described without experiencing it yourself.

Almost every day, I try to talk to my fellow internees who are in other laboratories – both as friends and as colleagues.  It’s fascinating to hear what they are doing in completely different fields of work, and it’s so pleasurable to be able to help each other.  People from all these other labs go to each other for help and advice each day and it’s so immersive to see how connected these families are.  You can not do everything on your own and it’s always good to get different perspectives on ideas as you move forward.