Helping a Friend or Yourself: Blog 5 – Overcoming Obstacles

At a moments notice, we will be assigned script coverage. Sometimes it is just a synopsis, but other times it is a synopsis, our own comments, and character breakdowns. In the beginning, it takes about a day or so to write these for just one script. After a couple weeks, I found myself getting faster and getting the hang of doing these no matter what was asked for in a timely fashion. One day, I took one script on that was due by the end of the day. While I was in the midst of reading and writing initial notes, my fellow intern and friend asked me to please take one of his scripts off his hands that was due the next day by noon. My presumptuous self took it on. This was a huge mistake as a bit off more than I could chew. I finished the coverage for my first script with an hour left till the end of my workday and was stuck doing intern tasks for the last hour that were priority over my friend’s script that I took on. I realized by closing that I could not get the coverage done by noon tomorrow without working at home. As this is an unpaid internship, we are not technically supposed to bring work home with us but I had to. In turn, I stayed up all night writing. This taught me an extremely valuable lesson on how to prioritize between my own work and helping a peer with an assignment.