Baseball | Inside Interview #1

Working in the sports industry has been my goal since high school. I could never imagine my life without sports, at the time specifically softball. Having played softball for 13 years, I was devastated when I was done playing. I have always wanted to find a way to continue my love of the game.

After a couple weeks at the office, I started to get to know everyone decently well. My interviewee had spent time working in baseball, specifically in minor leagues. We shared this. I decided after a few interesting, but brief conversations about his experience working in the minors, I wanted to find out more and how he got there.

We spoke about everything from his experiences as a college athlete to not being sure where to go for a career path that led him to sports management. He told me about how his first internship fell in his lap, when he just went to the ball park to see what was available and instead was handed a job. From there he continued in baseball, working his way up to pretty much managing a franchise.

He and I spoke about how the most valuable skill in his career has being being able to gain people’s trust and building relationships. This was something that I have done in the past, but emphasized for me to continue to do in the future. His advice to me was to continue to make connections, build relationships, and always stay positive. It is easy to not get one job and then decide that this industry is too hard to break into. He left me with the advice that has proven most difficult to take, but the most rewarding when followed.

2 thoughts on “Baseball | Inside Interview #1

Per usual – Great post! As someone who is also a sports fanatic, I am envious that you are aggressively pursuing your interest/passion for athletics! While difficult, the rewards of producing something that you love are invaluable!

This sounds like such an incredible experience- I can’t wait to read more about it.