Come So Far | #7

I’ve spent two months at Auerbach Grayson, and while there were learning experiences and some other experiences I’d rather not tell, I’m confident enough to say that I had a good time during my stay in Manhattan. Even though I thought I had some idea of what was going to transpire from start to finish, I had both pleasant and unpleasant surprises. I only knew what my actual position entailed: “Research intern”, which I correctly guessed to be a position of reading, compiling and organizing the company’s research for those interested, partner companies or traders. However, I had a lot more duties than that: Manning the front desk and all the responsibilities that come with it, day-to-day tasks like creating readership reports, grabbing food for an executive lunch, or my favorite one, researching and preparing a sales note, a write-up that is then transmitted to the traders on the floor to read and use as a reference in their stock picks. I also did some stuff that didn’t fall under the job description completely, such as shadowing a trader, coming in at 5 am to do so.

Overall, it was a mostly enjoyable experience that thought me a lot, some on the job and some learning I did on my own time. However, even though I reflect back on the enjoyable times I had with the other interns and the work I enjoyed, I’m fairly sure that research analysis or anything close to that position isn’t for me. While I enjoyed the work, I don’t see it as something I could do for years, I’m not that drawn into it. However, I’m sure that the experiences and knowledge I’ll take with me from the months spent here will influence my future career.