My Intern Supervisor

In my last post, I briefly mentioned that I have a supervisor and that her name in Barbara. In this blog post I will talk more about her and the role that she is playing in my internship experience. Although I value my independence, I have found that having a supervisor talk me through all the steps to interning at the Department of State has been really beneficial.

As I mentioned earlier, my supervisor’s name is Barbara and she has worked for the Department of State for most of her career. She is also very well traveled, having lived in Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, and Sudan.

So far, she has been super helpful to me during this internship process. On my first day, she told me that she didn’t have any specific projects that she needed me to complete, and that she mostly just wanted me to get the experience I wanted out of this summer. She has even gone so far as to schedule meetings with me and various Foreign Service Officers, so that I can gain an even better understanding of what it is like to work for the Department of State. And outside of her duties as my internship supervisor, she has even given me suggestions on cheap restaurants I can eat at and exciting events going on in DC.

Overall, I feel that I am very lucky to have been placed in the hands of such a helpful intern supervisor. I am looking forward to working with her more throughout the course of my internship.