Reflection on the Past Weeks- #5

I feel so lucky that I was able to intern with the Mackinac State Historic Parks. It has been a dream of mine for so long to work there, and my experience went above and beyond what I had ever imagined. I grew a lot as a person and professionally this summer.

The parks offered me so many opportunities to gain experience in the field of museums. Never have I felt more respected and trusted in an environment like that. Not only did I get to see how the collections aspect of the parks works, but I got to assist with exhibits, special events, and general operations. Coming in, I was very interested in how something as large as MSHP functions. Now I have a much better understanding as to how it all works.

This internship really helped me clarify what I want to focus on in the realm of Museum Studies, and what jobs best fit my interests. I was also able to work with and meet a variety of professionals whose knowledge and expertise will greatly help me in my future. I learned a lot about what to plan for and expect in graduate school and beyond.

I plan to return the Mackinac State Historic Parks next summer, I think that is one of the best signs of a successful internship. This was one of the best summers I have ever had, I’m not ready for it to be over!