Realize What You Want | #5

As my summer internship comes to an end, I begin to contemplate on what I truly want to do with my life. I always said it was marketing… but is it? I mean I definitely enjoy marketing but is it something I see myself doing for years until retirement? I don’t think so. I am interested in so many different things. I love music, fashion, traveling and so much more. I don’t think people’s lives should be defined by one occupation.

I thought about this throughout the summer and got to talking with my mother and my girlfriend. They both told me to pursue what makes you happy. That saying is really a broken record but it is true. It really hit me on my last day when I got to talk to Mr. Engel once again on my last day. We talked about my time with the company and then he asked me “What do you want to do after this?”. This is what I said (paraphrasing)…

“I know that I don’t want to work for anyone by the time that I’m 30. I know that I want to get into various fields. I love marketing but my creativity is bigger than just marketing. If I can have something to call my own, I will be really happy. My own music, my own podcast, my own clothes, my own videos. I’ve already written down my ideas and I get excited just writing them down so I can only imagine myself when I make it happen. I cherish internship experiences because I learn about the industry and get more experience, but for me it is important to use the knowledge and experience gained to help my brand and what I want to do. Our last talk was inspiring because your story shows me that I can do what I want rather than just being complacent ”

His face sparked up and he told me his content with my initiative and passion for doing what I want to do. He told me how he hopes to see me succeed in anything I do which was much appreciated.

I wrote about this story for my last post because I think it is important to remind yourself why you doing what you doing. As a 21 year old, it was hard for me to figure out what I want to do with my life but I realized that putting my creativity to work is what makes me happy. Finding your passion is hard but when you have it, don’t put it to the side. Write it down, set goals and don’t be scared to fail. Eventually, you will get to where you want to be. I know it is easier said than done, so let me stop talking (or in this situation, writing) and get working on my passion.

Bye guys! Hope all of your summers were amazing!