To sum everything up

I had my last day of work on Friday and it was a very bittersweet moment for me. I probably the most exciting and different experience of my life for the past eleven weeks but I was also a little homesick and ready to come home.

Cultural Vistas, the company that helped me land my international internship, describes the “multiple self” that you become when you are completing an international internship. The three components of this multiple self are the language learner, the tourist, and, of course, the intern.

The self which was hardest for me was the language learner. I had never been in a position where I was unable to communicate my thoughts very well, and that took adjusting. But as time went on, my language skills got better and I also got more used to simply listening to others speak. It also gave me a much higher respect for those living in the US, in which English is not their first language. It is a really hard adjustment, and it is also simply exhausting. After trying to speak and understand a foreign language all day, I would come back to my apartment and just want to sleep.

Being a tourist was simply amazing. I got to see a lot of cool cities in a few different countries. If I were travelling that weekend, I would get to a place on Friday night and experience the city or the nightlife. I would then spend the rest of Saturday and Sunday sight seeing, which was incredible. It was so amazing to see different cultures and famous sights. But that too was also exhausting, with long train rides and a lot of walking around cities.

Being an intern was also a fun and exciting experience. I worked 40 hours a week doing marketing and I learned a lot. I learned a lot about budgeting, marketing techniques, social media, and press relations. IT was really my first experience sitting behind a desk, in a real work environment and I developed a lot of soft skills as well.I felt as if it will help me out tremendously in my future work en-devours.

Overall, I had a tremendous, life changing experience, and I cannot think of a better way to have spent my summer.

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/0ee0930d-a5e9-4d9f-8924-4dceb2af5e04