An Interview with a Urban Designer / Interview #1

The last week of my internship, I was fortunate enough to sit down with a design consultant for an interview. We had agreed to talk for a half hour, but by the time I had left, it had been an hour and a half! I think the unexpected longevity of our conversation reflects how engaging it was, and the amount of information I was able to learn.

I was able to connect with him through a project going on in the City of Traverse City Planning Department. Our offices were collaborating on this project, and I was able to meet him in person to ask him for this interview.

During our conversation, I learned about a field of urban planning I hadn’t known about before. I learned what urban designers and landscape architects do, and how urban planning is an integral component. I learned about what type of companies do this type of work, and I learned what sort of classes or degrees someone would need to get to get hired by one of these firms.

This conversation has greatly influenced how I approach my academics for my final year of undergrad. I have enrolled in an urban planning course which will discuss urban design, and will serve as a more thorough introduction to the field than our brief conversation could. This interview also informed me to what sort of classes I should be searching for when I enroll in the winter semester, and what type of Masters Programs I should be searching for that will offer the education that I desire.

One thought on “An Interview with a Urban Designer / Interview #1

With all of the improvements made to TC’s downtown, I am sure that this was an interesting conversation!