Blog # 5: A Moment to Reflect

Today was my last day at Hagerty. It was filled with lots of hugs, goodbyes, and a weird feeling in my stomach. It was certainly bittersweet. A chapter of my life has come to an end and I can’t believe how quickly it went by.

The people I’ve met in the last three months have been nothing short of amazing. Everyone has had wisdom, humor, and interesting stories to share with me, which I am so thankful for. At the company, I learned more about myself than I expected to. I also became very fond of Traverse City and its residents outside of work, which was an incredible adventure in itself.

I feel like this is a town that will forever have a place in my heart. The memories are innumerable, the lessons I’ve learned are invaluable, and the soul searching has been incredibly revealing. A part of will always be here.

Looking back at the start of my internship, I certainly did not anticipate how close I would become with my coworkers, from the awesome gym staff to my immediate supervisor. I had a farewell lunch with my teammates yesterday which was filled with reminiscing, laughter, card-signing, and gift-giving. I feel like I have touched a lot of peoples’ hearts through work, client engagement, and just adventuring through Traverse City. A lot of people have touched my heart as well. That makes me really happy!

I truly have not come to terms with the fact that I’ll be leaving tomorrow afternoon and heading back to Ann Arbor to start senior year. The excitement, anticipation, and withdrawal are all hitting me at once as I look out my window at the bay and see sailboats cruising along under the clear blue skies. I already miss it and yet I can’t wait to get back to school as well.

I think that participating in this internship was especially valuable to me because it is so far from my intended path of study, career goals, and overall life plans. I mean, car insurance… really? However, it was everything I hoped it would be and then some. The culture, the excitement, workplace, people, nature, and the overall state of mind I was in here were all totally worth leaving my comfort zone and trying something totally unrelated to Biopsychology. I’m glad I did it and certainly will be able to speak about, as well as apply what I’ve learned in the years to come. I feel so fortunate and blessed to have had the opportunities and experiences that I did in such a beautiful place with such beautiful people.

I feel like I’m breaking up with Traverse City. I’ll be back, I’m sure, but I hate that I’m leaving so ‘soon.’ Thanks for everything, Hagerty, and Cherrytown. You’ve been great to me and I can’t wait till we cross paths again.