Blog #6: Connecting your studies to your academic exploration

My 8 weeks in India were nothing short of incredible. I feel extremely fulfilled with my experience. I was able to immerse myself within the culture whether that was through spending each day in four different classrooms with students, going on home-visits to their houses or by sitting and listening to the knowledgeable and inspiring woman who I was working for. I was also able to make it into the Himalayas on a 5 day trek, which is something I have also wanted to do. Then, in my last week in India, I was on a week long tour of the Golden Triangle (Delhi, Agra and Jaipur) where I visited and learned about historical temples, forts and villages that are merely just a small part of the history and culture India has. I would say this experience has only further reinforced by career path I planned on pursuing after I finish my undergrad. I am planning on apply to my Master’s in Social Work in child and family services as well as international development. This internship was really my first experiences where I merged these two interests, in terms of working abroad and with children and families. I want to experience as much humanity as I possibly can while I am on this earth; I want to feel compassion, kindness, humility, love, tragedy, pain and everything in between. For me, that’s what it means to truly feel alive and pursuing my MSW with those two concentrations will put me on a platform to do just that. I want to finish my senior year strong and apply for my MSW here at UM as it is one of the best MSW programs in the nation. Go blue!