Se Llama Lama: Peru Adventures #4

8/10/17

Machu Picchu in a word, historic. It is often the one destination, the locales mention to visit if one finds themselves in Cusco. I have it very interesting how much of the culture is still preserved here, for example the language Quechua is still being taught in schools and many still communicate using that language. Many of the agricultural architecture is hailed to be some of the most advanced in the ancient world, and I would even argue modern world as well.

As I toured Machu Picchu, I learned that the priests would predict many of world events that would happen. In addition to that, Machu Picchu was potentially a place built by the Incas in order to have a place to escape to from the Spanish conquistadors. Machu Picchu is thought to be built for the Inca emperor Pachacuti and the title “lost city of the Incas” was given because the Spanish were never able to find the Incas.

However, many have not seen Machu Picchu because they don’t have the time nor the opportunity to. As a tourist coming into Peru, I have found it important to realize the privilege it is to travel to many of the sites and cities that many locales may not have been to.