The End of an Era | #5

My time at at the botanical garden has been brief yet incredibly impactful. Unfortunately, all good things must end, in this case it is the end of my full-time internship. No longer will I spend hours on end in the full heat of the summer sun on the prairie or under the glass of the greenhouses, working hard and feeling it from head to toe at the end of the day.

But, as Dr. Seuss once said “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” As cheesy as this quote is, I think it captures a useful mindset to have in life. Although it is sad that I will no longer see my friends and colleagues every day, or be in a workplace that is physically, mentally challenging but extremely rewarding, I instead choose to look back on all of the wonderful memories I made and skills I learned. From tractors to transplants, I learned so much about the world of horticulture and conservation this summer, and I am incredibly grateful for that.

But looking back alone is not enough, for it is equally important to look forward to what the future has in store, and in my case that is returning to the gardens as a work-study student while I finish up my final year here at Michigan. In thinking about that, I am truly smiling.